In some cases, the state of California or another relevant entity will determine that a person is not fit to raise his or her child. There is also the possibility that an individual will voluntarily terminate his or her rights to a son or daughter. When this happens, that individual is generally no longer required to pay child support or otherwise care for the minor in question. For all intents and purposes, it is as if the child and parent were never related.

This means that a former parent may not be able to see or otherwise interact with the child. It’s important to note that parents cannot give up their rights to their children without some sort of justification. It may also be necessary to have the other parent’s blessing before doing so. However, those who are able to terminate their rights voluntarily generally do so by filling out a form consenting to the termination.

Parents who owe back child support when their rights are officially terminated will still be required to pay that outstanding balance. In many cases, parents will also be required to pay interest on top of the principal they owe. If a parent’s rights to his or her child are terminated, the child may still be able to inherit assets from that person. However, the adult will not be able to inherit anything from the child.

Individuals who are curious about their rights to their children may want to speak with a family law professional. An attorney may help a parent learn more about obtaining additional rights or terminating them entirely. A lawyer may also assist parents with learning more about how child support issues may impact their ability to see their kids or otherwise be a part of their lives.