When you face any legal matter that affects your family, getting the advice of a good family law attorney can make all the difference in your search for a favorable resolution. The stakes are usually very high, especially where children or property rights are concerned. However, family disputes vary in intensity and complexity, and sometimes it is possible to reach an amenable resolution without legal aid. The question is, how do you know when you should consult a family law practitioner? Here are some indications that could mean it’s time to seek out legal advice.

You need to even the playing field

The key to settling a dispute is for the two parties to be on equal footing. When one party decides to bring in legal representation, this places him or her at a definite advantage. The only suitable response is for the other party to seek their own legal counsel. 

You need a family law attorney to help you reach an agreement

There are times when the issue is so contentious or complex that it is impossible for the parties to reach an agreement. In this case, there can be no solution except by submitting the case to the legal system with the help of an attorney. 

You need assistance collecting evidence

You may need to gather extensive evidence to build your case in a family law matter, and this could require the assistance of an attorney. A lawyer will be able to gather the evidence that you need by conducting an investigation, taking depositions of people involved with your case, and requesting the appropriate documents from the other party.

Family legal matters, from adoption to divorce, are usually complicated and emotionally loaded situations that will require the help of an outside party. You should seek out a family law attorney to help you handle them. Family lawyers can ease the burden and use both their knowledge and their objectivity to navigate issues towards a successful conclusion.

Westover Law Group is a company of family law attorneys serving Southern California. Contact us to see how we can help you with your family law questions.