Westover Law Group
Put A Fearless Legal Advocate On Your Side
Call Us For A Free Consultation:951-290-3268

How to obtain child support in arrears

Parents who are owed child support in California or anywhere else may be able to pursue back payments in state or federal court. Typically, cases are resolved in federal court if the parent who is obligated to make payments frequently moves to different states. Federal courts may also get involved if it is determined that there is no appropriate relief available at the state level for any other reason.

Generally speaking, parents who are owed back support will start their pursuit of that money in state court. They must be able to show that they have taken steps to collect the past due balance prior to seeking a judge's help. A parent may also need to show that the other parent is the father of the child and knew this to be the case. Those who are seeking back support should be ready to show that payments have not been made for an extended period of time.

If the balance is more than a year old, a parent may seek a resolution to the matter through the Child Support Recovery Act (CSRA). In addition to being more than a year old, a parent must generally owe more than $5,000 before a federal court will get involved. Finally, the parent who owes back support must live in a different state than the child supported by the payments.

Individuals who are involved in child support disputes may benefit from the assistance of a family law professional. An attorney might be able to help a parent determine where and how to pursue back support. Those who owe support may also want to work with an attorney to have an order modified or work out a payment plan. Doing so might prevent a parent from spending time in jail.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 superb | Top Attorney Family Law
  • Avvo Clients' Choice 2013|  Family Law
  • OCBA | Orange Country Bar Associations
  • United States Court Of Appeals | Ninth Circuit
  • State Bar Of California
  • Federal Bar Association
  • AV Preeminent For Ethical Standards and Legal Ability 2014
  • AV Preeminent For Ethical Standards and Legal Ability 2018
  • State Bar Of California | California Board Of Legal Specialization
Email Us For A Response

Start Building Your Path To A Brighter Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

24640 Jefferson Ave Suite 204
Murrieta, CA 92562

Phone: 951-290-3268
Fax: 951-894-8441
Murrieta Law Office Map

Firm Location
Review Us