Westover Law Group
Put A Fearless Legal Advocate On Your Side
Call Us For A Free Consultation:951-290-3268

How to Modify a Visitation Agreement

In some situations, a child custody or visitation order becomes either impractical or improper. Under certain circumstances that meet specific rules and requirements, you may be able to modify the terms and conditions of the order.

Remember, there are two primary types of child custody: legal custody and physical custody. Legal custody means the right to make important decisions for the child, while physical custody refers to the time the parent spends with the child. In most cases, courts award joint legal custody, although physical custody is often giving to one parent (custodial) while the other parent (noncustodial) is entitled to visitation.

When a child visitation order is established, both parents must adhere to its terms. Yet, as time passes, child custody and visitation orders may either become burdensome or unsuitable. For instance, a parent may wish to relocate out of state for a new career opportunity or the needs and wishes of the child may change. Under these circumstances, a modification order may be granted.

Custody and visitation orders may be modified if one of the following is met:

  • Both parents reach an agreement to modify the current order
  • The court approved one's parent petition to modify

In order to modify a custody or visitation order, you need to file a petition to modify with the court. In order to successfully modify an order, you must have evidence of a significant change in circumstances.

Common examples of significant changes in a parent's life include:

  • A career change or relocation
  • Changes to the child's emotional and developmental needs
  • One parent constantly violates the custody order
  • Evidence of child abuse or domestic violence
  • Concerns over the safety or stability of one parent's home
  • An older child wishes to spend more or less time with a parent

Keep in mind, the court will also include the best interest of the child when making their decision to grant modification. It is important to have an experienced lawyer determine whether or not you can successfully seek modification.

If you are interested in modifying a current order in Murrieta, CA, contact our experienced family law attorney atWestover Law Group today.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 superb | Top Attorney Family Law
  • Avvo Clients' Choice 2013|  Family Law
  • OCBA | Orange Country Bar Associations
  • United States Court Of Appeals | Ninth Circuit
  • State Bar Of California
  • Federal Bar Association
  • AV Preeminent For Ethical Standards and Legal Ability 2014
  • AV Preeminent For Ethical Standards and Legal Ability 2018
  • State Bar Of California | California Board Of Legal Specialization
Email Us For A Response

Start Building Your Path To A Brighter Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

24640 Jefferson Ave Suite 204
Murrieta, CA 92562

Phone: 951-290-3268
Fax: 951-894-8441
Murrieta Law Office Map

Firm Location
Review Us